Student of the month: Maria Messias Mendes – BA English with Creative Writing

I’m a storyteller and my time is dedicated to do justice to the stories I tell.

Tell us about your time at QMUL. What have been your highlights?

My time at QM has been truly special. I‘ve had the chance to learn so much about literature but also the craft of writing.

How has your course at Queen Mary helped you to progress into the world outside? What’s next?

My course has given me the tools to pursue my passions and develop further even after I have left university.

Aside from course content what have been your favourite elements of the experience of studying here as a whole?

I have found theatre to be really complimenting to my studies and many of my fondest memories of the last few years have been in rehearsal rooms.

Tell us about your life outside Queen Mary including any projects, ambitions or jobs you’ve had.

I love painting, dancing and singing so I try to find time to do that.

What could be improved to enhance future students’ experience at Queen Mary?

I think being open to change is key for a more positive future. This does not mean just adapting but critically thinking about what change is positive and useful and which one might be damaging.

Find out more about our BA English with Creative Writing

Published by

All Things SED Editor

I am the Web and Marketing Administrator in the School of English and Drama. Amongst my various roles, I run the School's website (www.sed.qmul.ac.uk) and its Twitter feed (@QMULsed). I also manage the running of the School's Open Days and draft promotional materials.