Student of the month: Rai Kamana – BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing

BA English with Creative Writing student Rai Kamana describes herself as…

‘a ray of sunshine

Tell us about your time at QMUL. What have been your highlights?

There has been so many highlights since I joined QMUL. Its been engaging socially with meeting new people from different backgrounds to me – learning about all the array of cultures has really opened my mind up. Joining the Women’s Wellbeing society was fun. I met some lovely girls and we were able to openly have conversations about issues women deal with universally. I really enjoyed the calligraphy session held during World Mental Health week – I learnt something new and it was very therapeutic and much needed. Academically, I especially enjoyed writing my own poetry in my creative writing course.

How has your course at Queen Mary helped you to progress into the world outside? What’s next?

My creative writing course has been so helpful for me in terms of writing advice given by my seminar leader, such as how to pursue a career in this field and developing a writing portfolio. I feel with the numerous personal works we have handed in and the advice from my peers, I am ready to start publishing my work, whether that is a article for a platform like Buzzfeed or poetry for the QMUL newsletter.

Aside from course content what have been your favourite elements of the experience of studying here as a whole? (societies/friends/community/values)

Meeting so many unique, diverse individuals from all over the world. Making life-long memories with new friends in the heart of London. Meeting those certain people who I know I will be life-long friends with. The importance of friendship, respect and community engrained as the core values of QMUL is inspiring and encouraging for all students’ growth.

Tell us about your life outside Queen Mary including any projects, ambitions or jobs you’ve had.

My main ambition is to publish a poetry book in the near future. I have a lifestyle blog that encourages people to be mindful through holistic self-care advice. I want to continue developing my blog and share my personal work and thoughts of things I am a passionate advocate of and I feel the world needs to hear of like veganism and spirituality.

What could be improved to enhance future students’ experience at Queen Mary?

I believe eco-friendly initiatives such as growing more plants/trees around the campus will benefit the QMUL students as it cleans the air, lowers pollutant levels and provides a pleasant aesthetic. A student-led interactive QMUL garden growing organic fresh produce like herbs cultivates the health benefits of organic farming for QMUL students.

Published by

All Things SED Editor

I am the Web and Marketing Administrator in the School of English and Drama. Amongst my various roles, I run the School's website (www.sed.qmul.ac.uk) and its Twitter feed (@QMULsed). I also manage the running of the School's Open Days and draft promotional materials.