A year abroad can really open up new opportunities and give you valuable life experience to take into your future career.
According to the UK Universities International Report (March 2017):
- Graduates who were mobile during their degree were less likely to be unemployed (3.7% compared to 4.9%), and more likely to have earned a first class or upper second class degree (80.1% compared to 73.6%) and be in further study (15% compared to 14%).
- Those in work were more likely to be in a graduate level job (76.4% compared to 69.9%) and earn 5% more than their non-mobile peers.
The study abroad experience is intense, and because of this special quality and the quality of emotional investment in this period students are likely to make particularly strong friendships and have particularly memorable experiences. There are all sorts of opportunities that students will find access to because of location or circumstance that they wouldn’t necessarily get in London- one former student was offered a role in a professional production in New York, students on exchange with Howard University have inbuilt work experience and opportunities on Capitol Hill with the US government, students in New York might seek out opportunities with the UN.
We’re delighted to announce that as from 2018 the following undergraduate BA (Hons) degrees can include a year abroad:
- English with a Year Abroad (Q301)
- English with Creative Writing with a Year Abroad (QW1Y)
- Drama with a Year Abroad (W401)
- English and Drama with a Year Abroad (QW4Y)
- English and History with a Year Abroad (QV3Y)
Our Current Year Abroad Partners
- Columbia University, New York, USA
- University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
- University of Miami, Florida, USA
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
- University of Melbourne, Australia
- The University of Toronto, Canada
- The University of Auckland, New Zealand
- The University of Monash– Melbourne, Australia Semester 1 and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Semester 2
Please note we are still offering our Semester Abroad in the second year of all of our courses with the following institutions:
Columbia University, New York; Howard University, Washington DC; University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia; The George Washington University, Washington DC; University of Miami, FL; University of Richmond, VA; The University of Texas at Austin; University of Melbourne; University of Sydney; The University of Toronto; University of Ottawa, Canada; The University of Auckland, NZ; University of Hong Kong; Nanyang Technological University, Singapore; Seoul National University; Waseda University, Tokyo; Renmin University, Beijing.
New opportunities for semester abroad and/or year abroad are being developed at universities in Europe, North America, New Zealand and elsewhere. These will be offered as they become available.
Advice and Guidance
If you would like any advice on Study Abroad opportunities within the School of English and Drama please contact:
Please note study abroad is subject to availability, application and the host University’s own terms and conditions.