Deadline – Monday 8 January 2018
To mark the 20th anniversary of Battersea Arts Centre’s seminal Playing in the Dark season in 1998 and the launch of a new book Theatre in the Dark by Martin Welton and Adam Alston, BAC and Queen Mary University of London are presenting a Theatre in the Dark week in February 2018.
As part of this week of events there will be an ‘in the dark’ curated Scratch Night on Friday 9th February at 7.30pm.
We are currently looking for submissions of ideas for that Scratch Night. There will be 4 artists or companies selected to perform.
Scratch is about testing new ideas in front of an audience in order to get feedback, to see what works and what doesn’t. It is about taking risks in a supportive and positive atmosphere and learning through doing.
So we are looking for new ideas that need to be tested rather than pre-exiting work or polished pieces.
• The pieces should be no more than 10 minutes
• The Scratch Night will take place in the Council Chamber – more information on the space and the set up below.
• The Scratches should require limited tech.
• We will provide a blacked out space, a PA and a basic lighting rig.
• The artists chosen will have half an hour to have a technical rehearsal during the afternoon before the Scratch Night.
• It is an ‘in the dark’ Scratch Night so ideas should explore darkness or gloom although it doesn’t have to be dark from beginning to end.
• Selected artists/companies will be expected to think through the health and safety implications of their idea.
The Council Chamber is a room which is about 16 metres long and 10 metres wide with a high ceiling.
The space will be set up in a simple, 3-sided thrust formation with seats on the flat – no rake. There will be a decent-sized stage area – exact dimensions TBC.
There will be a fee of £500 for each artist/company asked to do a Scratch.
• Fill in an application form by visiting https://goo.gl/forms/xlhGGitrK3ABHON73
• You can submit your ideas in writing and/or video
• Deadline: 10am Monday 8th January
• Applicants will be informed no later than Wednesday 11th January.