#SEDdigest – Events and Opportunities Digest – Wednesday 22 November 2017

Welcome back for your weekly events and opportunities digest #8 for the autumn semester.

Please do get in touch if you have any listings for our next edition coming out on Wednesday 29 November 2017.

Events

THIS WEEK (WEDNESDAY TO WEDNESDAY)

English PGR Seminar Series: Elaine Hobby | Thursday 16 November 2017 | 5.15pm | QMUL Mile End

This week’s paper:

‘Editing the Cambridge Edition of the Complete Works of Aphra Behn’

Herpes by Eirini Kartsaki | Friday 24 November 2017 | 7.30pm | Chisenhale Dance Space

From Eirini: ‘A reminder that I am presenting Herpes this Friday at Chisenhale Dance Space, alongside Emma Bennett with What Matter. It’s Fiver Fridays, so please come along’

HERPES is a performance about desire, STI’s and fantasizing about the Duchess of Cambridge. It considers the ways in which we have been told that we either need to have a baby or stop banging the whole world. And if we don’t, we will, of course, get herpes.

HERPES departs from an anxiety to do with growing up and not wanting to settle down, or settle in; it deals with a refusal to get on with it, or get it together; it kind of says: I do not want to pull myself together, I do not want to come to my senses. I want to live my life as if it is mine – but it is mine, it is mine and yet I still struggle to come to terms with it and ignore my mother’s wishes, my father’s hopes for me, which are easily summed up: get a husband, a good job, have a baby, have a mortgage, be sensible, be sensible, be sensible.

For more SED events see our calendar here

Jobs & Paid Internships

English Tutor Vacancies

You need an A in your A-level English. Pay £12/hour.

QConsult: Get paid to do a project with a company or charity| Deadline: 27 November

We are looking for friendly team members to join our Box Office and Reception team, providing box office support (both in person and on the phone), as well as welcoming people to our building and dealing with email queries.

Apply now

Bar Staff | Barbican | Deadline 28 November

The Barbican Bars are looking to bring in a number of enthusiastic staff on a casual basis to provide support to the Bar Managers & Supervisors in the running of the Barbican’s Bars.

Apply now

Opportunities & Volunteering

Volunteers needed for QM model trial with Dental School

As you will probably know the QM model will eventually include modules that students can take in which they collaborate on projects with those registered in other departments. We have been approached by the dental school about a possible collaboration in which Drama students will work with Dental students on a module that uses forum theatre, role-play, and other theatrical techniques to examine questions of medical consent, clinician/patient interaction and so on. The Dental school are really keen to run a small scale trial of some of this, and have kindly invited Drama students down to Whitechapel to get involved and give some preliminary thoughts to how we might collaborate.

I would be very grateful if this of you working with 2nd and 3rd year students this week could mention it to your classes, and ask any interested parties to please get in touch with me asap.

Interested students will need to attend an induction session on the 28th November (we may be able to arrange other times if necessary), and a workshop at the Dental School in Whitechapel on either Tuesday 5th December 14.00-17.00, Thursday 7th December 9.30-12.30 or 14.00-17.00, or Friday 8th December 9.30-12.30.

If any are interested, please could they email Martin O’Brien by 27th Nov and indicate which of the workshops they might be available for.

QCHALLENGE: become a driving force and develop the leadership skills and networks for your future | Deadline: 3 December

Apply to QChallenge London and you will work in a team to explore a major challenge for a London organisation with a focus on health, housing and transport. As you tackle your assigned challenge, you will meet leaders from global businesses, government and not-for-profits. Designed in partnership with Common Purpose, QChallenge London offers you the chance to engage with the working world and develop the skills, Cultural Intelligence and networks for your future. By participating, you’ll be in the first group of students to experience QChallenge London as it’s trialled for the QMUL Model – QMUL’s ground-breaking cross-curricular programme.

The programme will run from 5th February – 13th April 2018.  This is an unpaid, voluntary programme.

Who can take part?   QChallenge is open to all QMUL undergraduates. Postgraduate students are not eligible to apply.

How can I apply?    To apply, please complete this online application form. Before applying, please read through the key dates featured on our website: http://www.careers.qmul.ac.uk/students/workexperience/items/qchallenge-london.html 

Applications close at midnight on Sunday 3rd December.

Calls for Papers

No listings this week.

We try and keep these listings as accurate as possible but errors can occur. Please check with the relevant party before going to an event or submitting any personal information.

Published by

All Things SED Editor

I am the Web and Marketing Administrator in the School of English and Drama. Amongst my various roles, I run the School's website (www.sed.qmul.ac.uk) and its Twitter feed (@QMULsed). I also manage the running of the School's Open Days and draft promotional materials.